Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney #2 (217 pages)

When I read on the syllabus that we were supposed to pick a chapter book in a series, I thought of this one immediately. Not because I have read it before, but because I have seen it around a lot and always wondered about it. Mostly I wondered why the author of the diary considers himself a "wimpy kid". This is why I chose this book, even though it is technically the second one in the series and I haven't read the first. This, by the way, turned out not to matter too much as the references to the first book were minimal and didn't impact the plot.

I think that my favorite part about this book is that it isn't set up like a traditional book. First of all, all the pages are lined like a composition notebook might be. Next the type face that was used looks like a a child's handwriting. Then, lastly, there are drawings that were drawn by Greg, the main character. Everything about this book, looks hand-written which is just awesome. It really brought me in and made me feel like Greg was a real third grade boy and I was reading his diary. It was funny, witty, thoroughly entertaining and I would highly recommend it to anyone. There is so much that you could do with this book, mostly because there would be so much for students to relate to. You could talk with students about the pictures and the different events that Greg writes about. It would bring up questions too that you ask students, for example about their siblings or their friends at school or their parents. It would be a good way to get to know students.

Remember how I said that id some jerk caught me carrying around a book with "diary" on the cover they were gonna get the wrong idea? Well that's exactly what happened today.

Just a reminder! This is a series so read the whole set!

No comments:

Post a Comment