Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Your Thoughts...


I really wish that I could go back through elementary school and do it all over again. I want there to be a huge block in my day that is given over exclusively to reading whatever I want, and going to the library and picking out a stack of books. Even though it is impossible to go back in time, this class has really given me a chance to at least go back again and enjoy reading as I did back then. I have been given a chance to revisit classics and favorites and I have enjoyed every minute of it. As an added bonus I have been able to discover new books and new genres that I had never seen or thought about before. I have also been given a chance to look at how I can use reading and books in my classroom. I think that this has honestly been my favorite class so far this semester, first because I get to read awesome children's books. And second because I got the choice of which books I would read. This is one thing that I will for sure carry with me as I go into the teaching field. I will remember how good it felt to be able to choose what I wanted to read.
I don't know if I have really been able to make up my mind about what makes a good children's book. I think though that perhaps, there is no such thing as a bad children's book, but there is such a thing as an inappropriate book. A good book for one student may be too adult or too advanced for others. It does not make it bad, it just makes it not the right book for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment